[Zope3-dev] Re: faulty releases and pypi access

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Wed Sep 26 10:10:34 EDT 2007

Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 September 2007 09:36, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>> I think tagging things in svn is a minimal requirement, though. I
>> understood that some of this stuff wasn't tagged?
>
> I agree. And Roger simply forgot. As Marius pointed out, as we do more
> releases, problems like this will occur frequently. Making mistakes is human,
> so let's develop a tool that does some basic checking.

I'm not yet convinced that we will have more releases. We have more
releases now because we're trying to get to stable versions. After that,
the eggs are on their own and I think we'll make much less releases.

But even if we got more releases to do, I don't see the problem. With
more releases we'd get more practice and make less mistakes.

One of the things we should realize in this process is that -- even
though setuptools makes it so damn easy to register and uplaod stuff to
PyPI -- releases are actually important business. They can't just be
created in a jiffy. They require attention and concentration. And a
well-defined process.