[Zope3-dev] Re: faulty releases and pypi access [update]

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Wed Sep 26 10:24:08 EDT 2007

Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 September 2007 05:02, Christian Theune wrote:
>> Hmm. While doing that I also noticed that we were at 3.4.0a1 yesterday
>> evening. The stable release was made from that without making a
>> maintenance branch and bumping the trunk to 3.5.
>
> There is conflicting information here. :-) Some people say we need branches,
> others say we don't. And where is an agreed-upon document that you have to
> list the next version in the setup.py file after the release?

It's not agreed upon, it's just what I wrote down:

http://svn.zope.org/*checkout*/Sandbox/philikon/foundation/maintaining-software.txt

Back when I put it up for discussion, all I got was a huge discussion
about PEP8, which is just a small and rather unimportant paragraph.
Unfortunately it's somewhere towards the beginning of the file. I wonder
if anybody read any further and got to the actually important stuff. Sigh.

> Because I disagree with that, since you cannot know the next version.

You can always know the minimum version. If you just released 3.4.2, I
think it's sensible to point the next release to 3.4.3. If you later
decide that you really need a feature release, you can always bump to
3.5.0a1 (which would be the first release in the 3.5.x series).