[Zope3-dev] Re: faulty releases and pypi access [update]

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Sep 26 13:28:17 EDT 2007

On Sep 26, 2007, at 1:18 PM, Fred Drake wrote:

> On 9/26/07, Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
>> What does one need to tell setup.py to make sure CHANGES.txt is
>> available? I understand it isn't by default, then? Hm, it does
>> appear to
>> be there by default. I checked grok 0.10's tgz and it's there, and we
>> didn't do anything special.
>
> Do you mean available in the unpacked sdist, or as part of the
> installation?  I don't think any of README, README.txt, CHANGES,
> CHANGES.txt (from the root of the distribution, not from inside the
> package) are actually installed.  If they are, I'd love to know where.

By default READM(.txt) is installed in a source distribution.
Anything else in the root (aside from setup.py of course and source
files themselves) aren't without extra setup chants. (These chants
can be figured out with some effort.  I never remember them, so, if I
want to do something like this, I have to figure them out again or
try to find an example with them.)

If we are going to have a change log, which we should, I would prefer
it to be included in source distributions.  Including a file other
that README in the root requires extra effort that I don't want to
require -- writing setup.py files is hard enough as it is.

I'm not crazy about Tres' idea of putting these files in the Python
packages themselves, but it does have the advantage that it causes
the files to be included in eggs as well as source distributions.

Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation