[Zope3-dev] Re: faulty releases and pypi access [update]

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Sep 26 15:46:29 EDT 2007

On Sep 26, 2007, at 3:32 PM, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:

> Jim Fulton wrote:
>>>
>>> Do you mean available in the unpacked sdist, or as part of the
>>> installation?  I don't think any of README, README.txt, CHANGES,
>>> CHANGES.txt (from the root of the distribution, not from inside the
>>> package) are actually installed.  If they are, I'd love to know
>>> where.
>> By default READM(.txt) is installed in a source distribution.
>> Anything else in the root (aside from setup.py of course and
>> source files themselves) aren't without extra setup chants. (These
>> chants can be figured out with some effort.  I never remember
>> them, so, if I want to do something like this, I have to figure
>> them out again or try to find an example with them.)

I was wrong.  Dang.  I think I understand setuptools/distutils and
I'm proven wrong again. Sheesh.

> Actually, no package data is ever included unless you're either
>
> * working from an svn checkout, in which case setuptools will use
> the list of which files are in svn and which aren't as a hint of
> what to include and what not

Certainly, I expect CHANGES.txt to be in svn.  I've just doeble
checked that files from the root of the package that are checked into
svn *are* included in sdists.

I retract my objection to CHANGES.txt and offer my apologies.

Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation