[Zope3-dev] Re: reasonable syntax for multi-adaptation

Derek Richardson derek.richardson at gatech.edu
Wed Sep 26 15:51:47 EDT 2007

To add a novice's perspective:

When I first learned Zope, I tried the syntax:

adapter = IFoo(context1, context2)

It took me hours and the help of Philipp to determine why context2 was being
returned. I saw the symmetry between IFoo(context) and a cast in other
languages and figured I'd just cast multiple contexts to an adapter. This
makes intuitive sense to the newbie. Returning the second argument as the
default adapter was strange to me, a seeming violation fo the explicit
comparisons to a cast (see the Summary on page 196 of Philipp's book, fourth
bullet point).

As a more experienced Zope developer, I never make this mistake. But I still
yearn for a simple syntax that makes multi-adaption as easy as adaption.
While IFoo.adapt() and IFoo.multiadapt() are nice, neither is as simple as
saying:

adapter = IFoo((context1, context2), default)

So, there seem to be advantages here for both the newbie and the experienced
developer. Martijn notes the advantage for the experienced; I am noting the
"it just does what I expect" simplicity for the newbie. (of course, I'd
prefer the cast syntax didn't have a default option at all, so it was really
like a cast, but what's done is done).

I don't pretend to understand Jim's objections, as I don't have that mastery
of the z3 internals. But, I plead for you all to see this from a user's
perspective, not from that of the internals. It is expected, for a user,
that adapting (context1, context2) would not return context1 as the adapter,
even if it already implements the interface, because one is attempting
MULTI-adaption. As for what is called internally, as a user of z3, I'm not
sure it matters, as long as I get the adapter back that I expect or a
default or error otherwise.

At the least, I guess, if z3 isn't going to change, the rhetoric of
comparing the adaptation syntax to a cast should change, since, to a
neewbie, the exceptions are confusing and, in my course of learning, were
not clear.

Derek