[Zope3-dev] Re: faulty releases and pypi access [update]

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Wed Sep 26 17:41:23 EDT 2007

On Wednesday 26 September 2007 17:34, Jim Fulton wrote:
> On Sep 26, 2007, at 5:28 PM, Stephan Richter wrote:
> > On Wednesday 26 September 2007 17:18, Jim Fulton wrote:
> >> - Update changes.txt, adding a heading for the new # and date
> >>
> >> - Create a tag
> >>
> >> - check out or switch to the tag
> >>
> >> - Set the version in setup.py on the tag. Check it in.
> >>
> >> - Make the release from the tag.
> >
> > Changing tags is not that good. I'd rather check in a aversion number
> > then. ;-)
>
> This is exactly what we've been doing for Zope 3 releases -- for the
> same reason.  I think it is the one acceptable and reasonable change
> to a tag.  The benefit of forcing us to release from a tag is, imo,
> significant.

Here is a problem that I discussed with Marius earlier today.

I often do not know whether all my setup.py settings are correct until I try
to upload a release. I frequently get the "Development Status" classifier
wrong and I won't be told it is wrong until I try to register the release.

So I usually create the release first and upload it and after that create the
tag.

Regards,
Stephan
--