[Zope3-dev] Re: faulty releases and pypi access [update]

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Thu Sep 27 05:14:02 EDT 2007

On 27 Sep 2007, at 04:52 , Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 September 2007 20:35, Tres Seaver wrote:
>>> So I usually create the release first and upload it and after
>>> that create
>>> the tag.
>>
>> -100.  Get it right, check it in, *then* upload the distribution.
>
> We do not have the tools. There is simply no telling beforehand.
> Marius and I
> worked on the ideas of a  tool that he proposed earlier today.

There is some telling beforehand:

* As I already said, you can generate all the package metadata with

     python setup.py egg_info

   and then inspect it in src/EGG.egg-info/PKG-INFO. This is
equivalent to checking
   the PyPI page, it contains the same information. I frequently do
this, also to make
   sure my setup.py actually executes before I tag (I often forget a
comma or so.)

* You can generate an egg or a tarball locally, without uploading it.
Then you can
   take a look at the tarball or the egg. Unzip it if necessary. Call
python setup.py
   egg_info inside the tarball, if necessary, to see if all the
CHANGES.txt, README.txt
   etc. files are there as well, especially when you know you messed
this part up
   before.

   You could also easy_install the egg and/or tarball in a virtualenv
(so that your
   global site-packages won't be affected).