[Zope3-dev] Why do we restrict our egg testing?

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Thu Sep 27 08:55:30 EDT 2007

On Thursday 27 September 2007 08:43, Benji York wrote:
> Roger Ineichen wrote:
> > Can anybody tell me why we restrict our test setup
> > in zope eggs and only use a subset of package for
> > our test setup?
>
> I don't know what you're asking, so I can't tell you why it is <wink>.
>
> > Why do we not use a Zope3 meta egg which contains all
> > our zope packages as a test base. This whould allow
> > us to test the same we have in the zope3 trunk and let
> > us run *buildout/test -s zope* from within each egg.
>
> Perhaps because there isn't a Zope 3 meta egg.

Roger is suggesting that we should have one, so that problems are detected
early. Any comments on that?

> > btw,
> > what is the builbot doing right now? Does the builbot
> > still runs test on the trunk? Or does the buildbot test
> > the eggs?
>
> It doesn't do much of value at all right now.  The transition to
> individual projects per package has left it behind.  There are good
> ideas to make the buildbot work with the new setup, now we need someone
> to implement them.

Right, I think this is terrible. If Roger would have not tested his package
breakups against the trunk, a bunch of failures would have gone unnoticed.
The power to test a base set all at once should not be underestimated.

So what do people think about a pretty comprehensive Zope 3 meta egg for
testing purposes?

Regards,
Stephan
--