AW: [Zope3-dev] Why do we restrict our egg testing?

Roger Ineichen dev at projekt01.ch
Thu Sep 27 09:09:25 EDT 2007

Hi Benji

> Betreff: Re: [Zope3-dev] Why do we restrict our egg testing?
>
> Roger Ineichen wrote:
> > Can anybody tell me why we restrict our test setup in zope eggs and
> > only use a subset of package for our test setup?
>
> I don't know what you're asking, so I can't tell you why it is <wink>.

I mean, we don't use all zope packages in our test dependency
if we develop eggs. What was the reason to use a subset of
of zope packages for egg testing?

e.g.
extras_require = dict(
        test = [
            'zope.testbrowser',
            'zope.app.securitypolicy',
            'some more zope.* packages but why not all zope.*'
            ],
        ),

> > Why do we not use a Zope3 meta egg which contains all our zope
> > packages as a test base. This whould allow us to test the
> same we have
> > in the zope3 trunk and let us run *buildout/test -s zope*
> from within
> > each egg.
>
> Perhaps because there isn't a Zope 3 meta egg.

I see

> > btw,
> > what is the builbot doing right now? Does the builbot still
> runs test
> > on the trunk? Or does the buildbot test the eggs?
>
> It doesn't do much of value at all right now.  The transition
> to individual projects per package has left it behind.  There
> are good ideas to make the buildbot work with the new setup,
> now we need someone to implement them.

Is there a benefit to not depend on all zope.* packages
in each egg test setup if we do a transition to indvidual
packages?

I understand the benefit to have smaller dependencies
in eggs, but I still think a egg should run all tests
we have in the zope namespace. Like we did in our old
trunk setup.

e.g.
python test.py -s zope -pv

could be now in a egg:
bin\test -s zope -pv

This whould allow us to run all zope.* tests
during egg development.

Regards
Roger Ineichen