[Zope3-dev] Re: Known working sets II [was: Eggification redux]

Brian Sutherland jinty at web.de
Thu Sep 27 16:10:31 EDT 2007

On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 08:22:48PM -0400, Tres Seaver wrote:
> Anybody running against the Cheeseshop today is *more* on the bleeding
> edge than a sysadmin whose production boxes are running 'sid':  Debian
> has cultural constraits, even for that distro, which are vastly more
> restricted than the Wild West which is PyPI.
>
> The only solution I can see is to create filtered subsets / mirrors of PyPI.

There is one I thought of, but it's a bit backwards.

Essentially, Debian has a repository of mostly unmodified original egg
tarballs. And, they've already done the hard work of maintaining sane
dependencies.

So, why not simply re-name the .orig.tar.gz in a Debian release
repository to their original names and you have a working set
corresponding to that release.

If you add your selected personal working set, then you have a basis for
working without bleeding.

--
Brian Sutherland