[Zope3-dev] zc.testbrowser alpha 1 released

Benji York benji at zope.com
Fri Sep 28 10:06:37 EDT 2007

zc.testbrowser 1.0a1
--------------------

I am very pleased to announce the first alpha release of
zc.testbrowser: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zc.testbrowser

zc.testbrowser is a refactoring of zope.testbrowser to remove the
Zope-specific bits plus the addition of the zc.testbrowser.real
module.

Testbrowser Real
----------------

zc.testbrowser.real lets you use the testbrowser API to drive
a real web browser; at the moment Firefox (but we may add support for
others in the future).  This lets you do testing of JavaScript heavy
web applications with testbrowser (and doctests, of course).  I
envision people often beginning tests using the "regular" testbrowser,
realizing the test/documentation they want to write needs JS, and then
switching their test to use "real" and not having to change the
already written parts of the doctest.

Screen Shots
------------

One other feature of zc.testbrowser.real is the ability to save the
current web page to a PNG file.  This should be very useful for
creating user manuals with embedded screen shots.

Thanks
------

Many, many thanks to my partners in crime at the Foliage Sprint:
Stephan Richter, Rocky Burt, and Justas Sadzevičius.

Bikeshedding Request
Even though I coined it, I don't really like the name "real".  I'd
like suggestions that are short, pithy, and descriptive if anyone has
any.  Along the same lines, any suggestions for a new name for
zc.testbrowser.browser (the classic testbrowser) would be appreciated
as well.

--
Benji York
Senior Software Engineer