[Zope3-dev] Re: reasonable syntax for multi-adaptation

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Fri Sep 28 10:31:51 EDT 2007

Dominik Huber wrote:
> It would be great, if we could handle other adaption-derivations by the
> proposed unified, reasonable adaption-api too.
[snip interesting proposal]

Okay, so there seems to be quite a bit of consensus for *some* form of
support for this. I've seen a number of proposals which to me look quite
reasonable.

Since Jim doesn't like this much but there seems to be a lot of support
from others, we could investigate whether we can't come up with
something that:

* doesn't break the existing notation. The cleanest way to support such
non-interference seems to be to do this using an extra .adapt method.
This is unfortunate, as I at least consider it prettier if it used the
IFoo() syntax (even though I proposed .adapt).

* creates a small a new hook inside zope.interface to support this

* can be plugged in by an optional extension, like zope.interfacextended

* implements the proposed new features. I like the idea of also allowing
utility lookup through the same mechanism.

The goal is to support this notation in applications. Of course, as soon
as a library or framework starts to depend on this extension Jim will
run into it if he starts to use them, but that happens in all kinds of
ways otherwise anyway.

So, any volunteers to try to implement this?

Regards,

Martijn