[Zope3-Users] Re: Installation prerequisites

Derrick Hudson dman at dman13.dyndns.org
Tue Nov 16 15:35:48 EST 2004

On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 04:15:08PM -0500, Stephan Richter wrote:
| On Sunday 14 November 2004 06:59, John Poltorak wrote:

| >   File "/usr/local/python/Lib/urllib2.py", line 980, in file_open
| >     return self.open_local_file(req)
| >   File "/usr/local/python/Lib/urllib2.py", line 1004, in open_local_file
| >     if not host or \
| > gaierror: (7, 'getaddrinfo failed')

| > I inserted 'print host' just before line 1004 in the hope that I could
| > identify why 'getaddrinfo' failed.

What did your print print out?

| You might want to try to reduce this test to a pure
| urllib2.open_local_file() call. Try to see whether this fails or
| passes.

As John discovered, open_local_file() is not defined at the module
level.

John,  try this :

    # Python
    >>> import socket
    >>> socket.gethostbyname('localhost')

I think that will fail with the same error message.  On my linux
system I get the following results :
    >>> import socket
    >>> socket.gethostbyname('localhost')
    '127.0.0.1'

| > Any suggestions as to how identify the cause of this error?

What happens if you try running 'ping localhost' from a command shell?
Does your OS/2 system have networking configured correctly?

-D

not sure about the former.
        Albert Einstein

www: http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/            jabber: dman at dman13.dyndns.org