[Zope3-Users] write a product keeping the customization of the instances in mind

Christoph Frick frick at sc-networks.com
Mon Aug 29 11:41:28 EDT 2005

On Sun, Aug 28, 2005 at 06:30:04PM -0400, Stephan Richter wrote:

> On Tuesday 16 August 2005 06:29, Christoph Frick wrote:
> > c) the whole product needs beside the visual customization by the admin
> >    also one piece of software - a script that handles the upload. for
> >    the old version of the software (zope2) we forced an external method
> >    with a certain name.
> I do not understand your question.

as part of the customization of my product by the "end-user" (the admin
that wants to install this software) there is need for a python-script
(or whatever) that basically transforms an uploaded file into a bunch of
objects (parses the file if you wish).

with our current zope2 ttw app we just force an external method with a
certain name to exist in the root-folder of the product and thats it.

my goal for the new product is to have only the basic parser (and no
longer the logic for handling the data then). but once somebody wants to
install my product he/she needs to customize this for its needs.

so basically (thinking in big terms of component based programming - or
at least as far as i thing i understood it):
one needs to write an adapter for my product, so it "adapts" for the
game one wants to represent in its instance. in terms of the good ole OO
- one would subclass my product and override the e.g. upload method. in
terms of design i would consider the approach of an abstract method
upload, that has to be implemented a lot cleaner.

--
cu