[Zope3-Users] Re: ZCML, practicality, purity (was "Excellent perspective...")

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Thu Dec 22 10:44:54 EST 2005

Wade Leftwich wrote:
> If ZCML (a/k/a The Right Way) is keeping fairly smart developers from
> trying Z3, then maybe we need an alternative (a/k/a What People Think
> They Want).

Are you sure ZCML is The Right Way?  I know its purpose (since I helped
invent Zope 3): to combine configurations by multiple developers without
imposing a particular workflow.  However, I maintain that Python code
could do the job better.  The Python code I have in mind is not the same
as Jeffrey's examples.  I'll elaborate if there's interest.

> Would it make sense to publish a recommended way to configure Z3 apps
> completely via Python? Just for people who can't get past ZCML?

Well, I wouldn't say the people I know "can't get past" ZCML.  They're
smart, and learning an XML schema is not a big effort.  However, for
someone coming from Java frameworks, yet another XML format is a big
mark against Zope, making RoR and other frameworks much more attractive.
  It's also a mark against Python, since it seems to indicate that
Python is too weak to implement a configuration mini-language.

Shane