[Zope3-Users] Specialized URL traversal.. Best way?

Wade Leftwich wade at leftwich.us
Fri Dec 30 15:02:44 EST 2005

Jeff Shell wrote:
> [snip]
>
> I was wondering - is this the best way to do this? Is there a better
> recipe floating around out there? I appreciate Zope's direct-to-object
> URL publishing (been using it since '97!), but custom URL maps past a
> certain object like a view seem to be quite tricky, whereas Django and
> generic toolkits like Routes are specializing in ways of managing
> custom URL maps. I know there are a few places where one can take over
> this process, but it's not obvious when and how to use them, or which
> to use. BeforeTraversal event? publishTraverse? ITraversable?
> ITraversing? Ultimately I'd like to put a couple of views into the
> root of my app that can do something akin to Django's url_dispatch:
>
> http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/url_dispatch/
>
> where a set of patterns and a name are used to allow for various
> dynamic queries. The name would be used to look up a component to
> respond to the matched items in the path. It wouldn't interfere with
> any other traversal (ie - wouldn't replace the default way of doing
> it). Doing it from a browser view seems safest, since this is almost
> exclusively about keeping nice URLs for web browsing. I just want to
> know the best place to plug in.

I don't have an answer, but I am also hoping to get some advice on the
best way to get what in a Z2 PythonScript is called 'traverse_subpath'.

 Chris Withers and I were both asking about this back on Dec 15 in the
"What's the rationale of @@?" thread
(http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope3-users/2005-December/001684.html),
but I didn't see an answer. Still haven't figured it out for myself,
still hoping for some help.

-- Wade Leftwich
Ithaca, NY