[Zope3-Users] Ordered list of sub objects

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Fri Jul 15 12:47:58 EDT 2005

On Friday 15 July 2005 08:06, Johan Carlsson wrote:
> Hi all,
> I want to have a list of ordered sub objects (potentially if different
> types) for an object.
>
> I don't want the subjects to be added via the normal Add method, but
> I want to implement my own UI for the adding, delete, and ordering.
> And I don't want them to turn up in the normal contents view.
>
> The patent objects should also be "containerish", e.g. contain other
> types of objects, of different types, that I would like to use the
> normal Add facility for and show up in the normal Contents view.
>
> The question is how I should go about and solve this and what
> possibilities Zope 3 already got to solve it?
>
> I'm guessing between having to separate container interfaces
> for the object, using the special case container interface
> with my custom content view.
>
> Or implement a ordered list field that can take sub objects
> of different types.
>
> I haven't fully grasped what is possible with the stock fields
> (for instance List in combination with more advanced fields as
> value_type,  I haven't found any documentation r example using this,
> pointer would be appreciated :-)
>
> Any tips?

You definitely have to write a custom container. In your case I would suggest
providing an attribute on your container that is also a container and holds
all those objects that you want to manage via another process.

It would have been much clearer, if you would have provided a full use case
instead of talking about it abstractly.

Regards,
Stephan
--