[Zope3-Users] Questions from a total newbie

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Wed Mar 16 05:20:56 EST 2005

On Wednesday 16 March 2005 03:16, Leif K-Brooks wrote:
> 1) Are there any simple real-world applications like a blog or simple
> forum written for Zope 3 that I could learn from?

Yes, there is a zwiki and bugtracker implementation. If you play with the
trunk, it is part of your source code. If you use the release, then you can
use the packages at http://www.zope.org/Products/Zope3-Packages.

Also, if you read my book either by reading it online at
http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/Zope3Book or a paper copy (more uptodate at this
point), then you will learn about a simple message board package. The code
built in the book is also available online.

> 2) How would I go about setting up the basic infrastructure (common
> layout, registration form, etc.) for a new site? Is there a special
> location to put the layout macro?

Both zwiki and the messageboard demonstrate how to write your own skin.

> 3) What the heck are those double at signs (@@) that the ZMI adds to some
> URLs?

@@ denote views. This way, if you have a file in a folder having the same name
as a view, you can distinguish between the two. You should really read the
book(s) available for Zope 3.

> 4) How do I add and change a site's users from the ZMI and from code?

from code: See principals.zcml
from ZMI: Read the chapter on principal sources; if you use the trunk you want
to have a look at the zope.app.pau's REAME.txt. Setting up the PAU is a bit
complicated right now, but will be fixed for the release.

> 5) Should I have any trouble writing XHTML Strict (as opposed to
> Transitional) using Zope?

Zope does not care at all what you output. For all it cares, you could output
PDF as it is done in
http://svn.tiks.org/viewcvs/Collective/pdftemplate/trunk/

Regards,
Stephan