[Zope3-Users] need guidance

Brad Allen brad at allendev.com
Wed Nov 30 16:05:33 EST 2005

At 12:52 PM -0700 11/30/05, Duncan McGreggor wrote:
>Do you have a zope2 background? With a background in zope2 and
>twisted, I found z3 very easy (delightful) to learn. My first z3
>site was done from scratch, with graphic design, custom
>user-editable content in under 3 weeks. I was an instant z3 fan.

I did spend some time trying out Zope 2 a couple of years ago, but
didn't get very far past the basics. That was before I had really
gotten into Python. What got me interested in Z3 was that our local
Python user group  (http://www.python.org/dfw) has been recently
looking at a variety of Python web frameworks. Based on reading parts
of Stephan Richter's Zope 3 Developer's Guide, I got the impression
that Zope 3 was the most mature and featureful available. The intros
to chapters 7 and 8 had some inspiring bits about the kind of
experience and thinking went into the architecture of Zope 3.

We had some meetings involving getting Zope 3 up and running on
Ubuntu, the MessageBoard tutorial, etc. After awhile, I realized that
we really should have started with the Philikon book first (Web
Component Development with Zope 3), because it spent more time
explaining the basics (like TAL and METAL, for example). I'm still
going back and forth between the two books as I continue learning
Zope 3.

Btw, I found that the cheapest place to buy both Zope 3 books is
Nerdbooks.com. I'm a bit biased, because Nerdbooks provides a meeting
space for the DFW Python user's group, and I want to promote
Nerdbooks as much as possible due to their generosity in hosting user
groups in the Dallas area, as well as the way they provide an unusual
combination of a vast technical book selection with the lowest prices
around (lower than Amazon by a good bit).

As for the easiness and delightfulness of learning Zope 3, that's not
the general perception in our Python user group, and clearly a big
part of the Python community is diverted into other frameworks such
as Django, TurboGears, and TwistedWeb. How to improve the perception
of Zope 3 could probably be a separate discussion thread unto itself.
I favor the notion of making a separate Zope 3 site, or at least
clearing out the old, outdated documentation at the current site. For
a newbie, it's hard to tell what's current and what's outdated.

At 12:33 PM -0700 11/30/05, Duncan McGreggor wrote:
>As per your other email, the reason you had problems was because
>your z3 instance was already running. If you are not using ZEO, you
>need to stop z3 in order to gain access to the ZODB.
>
>Have you seen Benji's quick start guide? In addition to Stephan
>Richter's book, you ought to read Philipp von Weitershausen's book
>too. As of zope3.1, it's a little out of date, but only in a few
>areas. The conceptual explanations and careful, hands-on,
>examples-based approach is pure gold. His and Stephan's book are the
>perfect couple ;-)

Actually, I totally missed Benji's "Zope 3 Quick Start Guide"
(<http://www.benjiyork.com/quick_start/>). I had seen mention of it
on the list, but I somehow got it mixed up with "Zope 3 in 30
Minutes" <http://zissue.berlios.de/z3/Zope3In30Minutes.html>.