[Zope3-Users] Advanced usage of Z3 schemas...

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Oct 4 06:41:33 EDT 2005

Andreas Jung wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am currently thinking about for a new version of PloneCollectorNG
> based on Zope 3. The currently implementation uses per-instances schemas
> (acquired from a parent object managing the schema). How would you do
> that in Zope 3?

I'm not sure what "that" is.  Surely PloneCollectorNG schemas are different
from Zope 3 schemas.  What is the important property of these schemas that
you want to retain?

- Is it important that the schemas be through-the-web?

- Is it important that the schemas be interfaces?  How
   are you using the schemas?  For example, do you want
   to do component dispatch on the schemas?

> Another question: in Zope 3 we have FieldProperties that automatically
> handle setting and getting values. This implementation stores the values
> as instance attributes. What would be the recommended way to store
> attributes in a RDBMS instead inside the ZODB? By introducing a new
> RDBMSFieldProperty that handles the set/get methods in the same way as
> the FieldProperty implementation?

Possibly.  It depends on the RDBMS integration strategy.  If you
were using Ape, you'd probably use the existing field storage.

Jim