[Zope3-Users] Re: How do I logout from Zope 3 Management Interface

Todd Wilson twilson at csufresno.edu
Wed Oct 26 01:55:45 EDT 2005

I just joined the list, and I am following up on a post in the archive
(sorry -- there wasn't a way to do this directly, so I don't know if
this message will end up in the same thread).

On 10/1/05, Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/1/05, Milind Khadilkar <zedobject at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >  I have installed Zope 3.1 rc 3. After logging in, I could not find any
> > logout button.
>
> There is no way to consistently log out from Basic HTTP authorization...
>
> > Is it OK to directly shut the browser window ( I am using Firefox)?
>
> Yup.

I am writing for clarification on Lennart's answer to Milind's question.
  In the many screenshots of the ZMI that can be seen in Philip von
Weitershausen's book ("Web Component Development with Zope 3", Springer,
2005), one can definitely see "[Logout]" in the upper-right corner of
the ZMI page.  Like Milind, however, my installation of Zope 3.1.0 does
not have this link in its ZMI pages.

Is the absence of "[Logout]" in the latest version(s) because the
developers realized that it was misleading (as Lennart is suggesting)
and best left off, or is there another reason?  Given the sensitive
nature of some Zope deployments, the management password seems very well
worth protecting.  How about using a secure login (e.g., https) and
sessions, which is capable of supporting a true logout?

Todd Wilson
Department of Computer Science
California State University, Fresno