[Zope3-Users] which psycopg works with Zope3?

Dmitry Vasiliev lists at hlabs.spb.ru
Wed Oct 26 10:13:10 EDT 2005

Brad Allen wrote:

> Several of us in the Dallas area Python user group
> (<http://www.python.org/dfw>) are getting interested in Zope3
> development, but not all have joined the Zope3-users mailing list. Here
> is a question about Postgres and psycopg that came up on our user group
> mailing list. Any info about this would be appreciated...
>
> At 1:59 AM -0500 10/24/05, Jeff Rush wrote:
>
>> Since you're on that list and I'm not yet, could you please ask them
>> WHICH
>> versions of software are required to use PostgreSQL?  They say its the
>> most
>> popular database adapter for Zope 3 so someone must have figured it
>> out.  And
>> the DA was written by the same guy that wrote the Zope 3 book.
>>
>> The actual tarball for "psycopgda" is 10 months old and doesn't install
>> (missing psycopgdb-configure.zcml file)

The tarball version is for use with ZopeX3-3.0.0 and psycopg v1.0

>>> and the newer copy I checked out of
>> the Zope subversion repository failed with a "psycopg module doesn't
>> supply a 'new_type' method".

It seems to me what you are trying to use psycopgda with psycopg v2.0. Psycopg
v2.0 is not supported for now since it is still beta.

>> Remember in class we had differences between Psycopg
>> v1.0 and v2.0.  I'd like someone to clearly state the working set of
>> versions
>> of stuff.
>>
>> It appears the sequence is:
>>
>>   psycopgdb Zope 3 database adapter (two versions of this)
>>     =>
>>       psycopg Python DB-API interface to the PostgreSQL client libraries
>>         (and at least two versions of this)

So, conclude:

- The tarball version is for use with ZopeX3-3.0.0 and psycopg v1.0;
- The svn version works with Zope 3.1 (and should work with Zope 3.2) and still
psycopg v1.0;
- Psycopg v2.0 is not supported for now;

--
Dmitry Vasiliev (dima at hlabs.spb.ru)
     http://hlabs.spb.ru