[Zope3-Users] Beyond ICatalog.searchResults

Mohsen Moeeni listless at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 16:37:20 EDT 2006

On 4/13/06, Frank Burkhardt <fbo2 at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 04:27:15PM +0330, Mohsen Moeeni wrote:
> > Hi;
> >
> > Looking at ICatalog interface, I could not figure out
> > how can I request some simple and common operations
> > from my catalog.
>
> You don't really have to cope with the catalog but with your indexes only.
> The catalog's job is just to subscribe to object
> creation/modification/remove events and to send your search request
> to the index you want to use. Everything else depends on the indexes.

Thanks for the response. Maybe I had to conduct better what I meant.
Here is the concrete use-case:

For my personal, private weblog (in z3!), I need to query
the catalog for the latest N entries to show on the
home page in chronological order:

>>> catalog.searchResults(interface=IBlogEntry, sort_on='creation_date',
....             sort_order='descending', numResults= N)

As the existing indexes are enough for my objects and this use-case
is so common, I doubt I would have to create my own index class.
FWIW, These functionally are all present in Z2 catalog.

Mohsen,