[Zope3-Users] Re: zc.tables integration with Zope3

Jim Washington jwashin at vt.edu
Fri Aug 25 09:06:45 EDT 2006

Luis De la Parra wrote:
> Hello
>
> this is how indexes are implemented in RDBMs.. don't know if sqllite has
> such a feature, but in oracle the table content is just stored in files
> (structured, but unordered) and a set of sorted indexes is kept for the
> primary key and all other secundary indexes.
>
> each index has the search fields like index0 = "lastname/firstname" and
> index1 = "telephone" and a  file/segment/row pointer to the information.
> every update to the table triggers an update to all indices in the same
> transaction, but you get searching, sorting and batching in return.

Yup.  But if your data is in a zodb,  you only have one (maybe two, with
an OrderedFolder)  canonical ordering of things in a container.  Any
other order requires sorting the entire set on the fly.

... At the moment. ;)

For anyone following this thread, I have updated my factoradic
implementation code this morning.  It now memoizes to an sqlite db, and
is much much faster overall.  http://blog.hill-street.net

-Jim Washington