[Zope3-Users] Re: Performance

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Sun Aug 27 06:45:41 EDT 2006

David Johnson wrote:
> Good morning. I’ve built and application for Zope 3 and it seems to run
> fairly slow (the logs show 2-5 seconds for a single page load).  The
> graphic usage is relatively low (I’ve tested the same html file in PHP
> and the speed is 0.10-0.20 seconds).

I'm not sure what "graphics usage" and "testing the same html file in
PHP" are supposed to mean. I also don't understand what such a test is
supposed to show.

There can be numerous bottlenecks in a Zope application. Rendering Page
Templates (which admittedly are not the fastest templating mechanism in
the world) is only one. Having unit test and integration tests for your
components can make it a lot easier to track down such bottlenecks. The
test runner also has a profiling option (--profile) that I might help
you show where you spend most of your time. It's a good idea to combine
this with --repeat=N so that the tests are run several times in a row
and will outweigh the overhead spent in the test runner in the statistics.

Philipp