[Zope3-Users] New User: Zope 2, or Zope 3?

Gary Poster gary at zope.com
Wed Feb 8 18:18:07 EST 2006

On Feb 8, 2006, at 6:05 PM, Chris Cogdon wrote:

> Hi folks! I'm starting work on a from-scratch web application, and
> I'd like to use this as a first-time-application using Zope.
>
> (Actually, this is not really the first time... but my previous was
> something really simple way back in the Zope 1 days, so... just
> pretend this is first-time).
>
> I'm trying to get started quickly (of course), and want to do it
> reading as much documentation as possible, without depending on you
> fine folk too much for help. From my research it seems that there's
> a bunch of documentation and tutorials geared around Zope 2, but
> not anywhere near as much for Zope 3, and Zope 3 seems a vastly
> different beast than '2'.

Yes, it is.

> So, my question is... should I stick with Zope 2 for the moment
> (with its plethora of documentation), or dive right into Zope 3 and
> battle it out (and depend more on the community for any lack of
> documentation)? In particular, I DO want a decent tutorial to work
> through to get me started (and I cant find one of any depth at all
> for Zope 3).

Jim's tutorial is a very good start.  Philipp's book is a bit out of
date but still generally very valuable and would probably be your
next stop.  Stephan's book is usually recommended for working after
Philipp.

> Or... can I use the Zope 2 tutorials to work through Zope 3 ??

Nope.  They share the ZODB, and basic object publishing concepts.
Recently, Zope 2 has begun integrating Zope 3 technologies, but it's
still more like Zope 3 knowledge can be back-ported to parts of Zope
2, but not vice versa, much.

> My background: I'm a seasoned python developer, and have written my
> own web-frameworks for various applications.

Sounds like you are a Zope 3 candidate then.  If you want through-the-
web development, Zope 2 is what you want (ATM, at least); if you want
more standard python development, Zope 3 is what you want.

> This time I want to use something more 'mainstream' so other
> developers on the project have something 'familiar' to work with,
> or at least something that will be useful to learn. The application
> will need to connect to a PostgreSQL database, and would like some
> simple authentication plugins so end-users of the application can
> create accounts, log in, and have data restricted based on logins.
> Nothing much more fancy than that.

Sounds like a good Zope 3 app.  The authentication stuff should be
custom plugins for zope.app.authentication.  I don't remember where
the DBA for PostgreSQL is, but it's in the svn.zope.com repository
someplace (and others can point it out).

Gary