[Zope3-Users] Zope 3 Developer's LiveBook

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Wed Feb 15 07:36:56 EST 2006

On Wednesday 15 February 2006 03:38, Chris Withers wrote:
> I find it ironic the one of the first uses of PCs was to do word
> processing, and yet we seem to always strive to edit plain text of one
> variety or another, and yes, that includes latex ;-)

That's because Word Processors just do not have the layout quality that is
required for professional printed media. I would say that desktop publishing
software like Quark and Indesign (and now even Scribus) have been extremely
successful.

Word processors do a good job when it comes to editing, since they provide
spell/grammar checker, comments and change tracking. And that is how they are
used by a lot of publishers. But in order to generate a book, publishers have
import programs from Word to their desktop publishing software.

So with that in mind, if you do not know how to do professional desktop
publishing, then LaTeX is a much better options, since it results look really
professional.

I have more examples, but that's for another E-mail.

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter