[Zope3-Users] Re: Zope 3 Ready for Production? Really?

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Sun Jan 15 07:41:34 EST 2006

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 01:51:50 -0000, Jeff Shell
<eucci.group at gmail.com> wrote:

> I like Trac, or even the Plone (I assume) based tools Schoolbell is
> using to publish information. "This is the 3.2 milestone. Here are the
> proposals and issues that are tied to that milestone" You can do this
> with Wikis, but it's all manual and the organization is seldom as nice
> and natural. Compare these (and yes, I'm aware that trac has a wiki -
> but it seems nice and secondary to some of the core information):
> http://trac.turbogears.org/turbogears/roadmap
> http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/RoadMap

For what it's worth, we used to use a Wiki for documentation and
CMFCollector for bug tracking. The former became a mess because no-one
gardened it, and the latter became the reason plone.org was slow as a dog.

So now, we use trac for bug tracking, the PloneHelpCenter for
documentation - see http://plone.org/documentation - and the
PloneSoftwareCenter http://plone.org/products for managing software,
including Plone itself, see http://plone.org/roadmap. (Note that plone.org
runs the unreleased 2.1-integration branch of each of these, but a release
will be made as soon as we iron out a few remaining issues). We wrote
these tools with the goal to make it as easy for people to contribute,
with as little maintenance work needed as possible. There is a review
cycle, but it's fairly light-weight, and beyond that, the tools keep
things in order fairly well on their own.

Probably some of this would be overkill to you, and the idea of using
Plone and Zope 2 to run your documentation site may be a little backward,
but the tools are there, they're open source, and they're free.

Beyond that, Philipp recently blogged about the quality of zope.org. I
must say I agree with him - unless you know what you're looking for,
zope.org is hardly going to get you excited about what I believe is one of
the best appservers out there for a lot of use cases. The Introduction to
Zope page seems to still be in Zope 2 land. There's a DTML section on the
front page. The Zope Book is outdated and covers Zope 2.6. Zope 3 is only
found under the "Developers" section, far down the left hand column. I
understand all too well that people's spare time doesn't extend to making
a new kick-ass website, but honestly, we'd probably have more adopters and
less confusion if Zope.org told a better story. Maybe it's worth trying to
get some money together and pay someone to do it? Maybe it's worth
starting from scratch e.g. with Plone 2.1 (you run an old version of Plone
now, I believe) or a Z3 CMS (even better!), have someone impose some
structure and keep old.zope.org alive for a while. I don't know. But I
think the external face of Zope may be one reason why Zope 3 doesn't feel
"enterprise ready" (whatever that means).

Martin

--
(muted)