[Zope3-Users] Zope 3 Ready for Production? Really?

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Sun Jan 15 10:09:28 EST 2006

On Saturday 14 January 2006 20:51, Jeff Shell wrote:
> I like Trac, or even the Plone (I assume) based tools Schoolbell is
> using to publish information. "This is the 3.2 milestone. Here are the
> proposals and issues that are tied to that milestone" You can do this
> with Wikis, but it's all manual and the organization is seldom as nice
> and natural. Compare these (and yes, I'm aware that trac has a wiki -
> but it seems nice and secondary to some of the core information):
>
> http://trac.turbogears.org/turbogears/roadmap
> http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/RoadMap
>
> But while that would be nice, I don't have the time or experience to
> contribute to setting something like that up even if it were wanted by
> others, and I'm not volunteering anyone else to do it. Just wishful
> thinking. It's hard for me to find a decision tree of what went into
> Zope 3.2 and why, or to try to lobby support for something to go in
> Zope 3.3 and see proof somehow that it does by being able to follow an
> issue, a roadmap, a plan, etc.

I hear you! A couple of remarks. The SchoolTool project is blessed by having a
project manager that is not a developer. Tom (Hoffman) manages all our
proposals and keeps the Web site content up-to-date. Furthermore, SchoolTool
development is currently paid for, so SchoolTool can promise features for a
certain release.

Zope 3, on the other hand, has a time-based release cycle and is developed by
community members. Thus we cannot make any promise about what features will
make it into the next release. We use proposals to only decide what could
make it.

Regards,
Stephan
--