[Zope3-Users] Re: Next steps...

Tim Penhey tim at penhey.net
Mon Jul 24 04:51:14 EDT 2006

On 7/24/06, Philipp von Weitershausen <philipp at weitershausen.de> wrote:

> Note that in newer Zopes we have a debug shell which saves you a lot of
> typing. Simply execute "bin/zopectl debug" from your instance (you don't
> even have to put $INSTANCE/lib/python on your PYTHONPATH), the effect is
> the same as the Debugger stanza you see in my book. zopectl debug wasn't
> around when I wrote the first edition, unfortunately.

Does this mean that a second edition is in the works?

>> Given that I am writing my code somewhere different than my zope
> instance,
> >> how to I extend the default site.zcml to include my stuff?
> >
> > I'm sure that the debugger does much more, but after a few minutes
> thinking
> > about how to add things it seemed relatively obvious - just not
> explicitly
> > described anywhere.
> >
> > For the benefit of others:
> >       - put your development directory in your PYTHONPATH
> >       - add a <include package="xxx"/> in the site.zcml for your
> package.
>
> Indeed that's what you have to do (instead of editing site.zcml you can
> also put a worldcookery-configure.zcml slug into etc/package-includes).
> This is, btw, described in Chapter 2 as a necessary step for making the
> examples work anyway (especially the interactive interpreter sessions).

Sorry, missed the bit in chapter 2 about this, or had just forgotten by the
time I needed to do it.

Is adding the slug to the etc/package-includes the preferred way of
extending then?

>> In chapter 5 (Content Components), the Recipe object ends up using
> >> FieldProperty to initialise members based on the interfaces schema,
> however
> >> in chapter 6 (Persistency) these are dropped and empty unicode strings
> and
> >> PersistentLists used instead.  Does this mean that you loose the schema
> >> checks on assignment now?  Confused :???:
>
> Yes, you lose schema checks on assignment. Usually you don't care about
> them, though. Automated add and edit forms will perform those checks on
> the user input anyways, having them on the Python level is (almost)
> useless.
>
> Philipp

OK, thanks.  It is excellent to have the author answer the questions :)

Tim