[Zope3-Users] Running Zope3 as a Windows XP Service

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 16:59:27 EDT 2006

> I have tried to go the c:\zope\bin directory and run the
> zopeservice.py.  It aborts with the message:
>
> C:\zope\bin>zopeservice.py
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "C:\zope\bin\zopeservice.py", line 84, in ?
>     from zope.app.winservice.service import Service
>   File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\zope\app\winservice\service.py",
> line 20,
> in ?
>     import pywintypes
> ImportError: No module named pywintypes
>
> C:\zope\bin>
>
> Any idea on where to get the missing file???? and where to install it????

Ah, looks like you need to install the Python pywin32 extensions
first.  Any recent release should work fine:

    http://starship.python.net/crew/skippy/win32/Downloads.html

That's actually a link to the author's page, which asks you to go to
SourceForge.  I would have given you the SourceForge link directly,
except SourceForge is dead at the moment :-( so I couldn't verify the
link.

When SourceForge is up again, download a recent pywin32 installer and
run it.  Then try zopeservice.py again.  You shouldn't do that the way
you showed above, but the way shown in the instructions referenced
before:

    zopeservice.py --startup auto install

Then use the Windows Services GUI to start the service, or use

    zopeservice.py start

Etc.