[Zope3-Users] Visionaire! (All your problems, solved)

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Thu Mar 2 10:38:40 EST 2006

On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 10:23:17AM +0100, Max M wrote:
> Canonical releases of compatible package collections is a *must*.
> Splitting it all up in small chunks that are out of sync would be a
> disaster.

but we already have that situation with current Products.

How many sites are still running Zope 2.7 and Plone 2.0
because there's one product they depend on that doesn't
work in 2.8 or 2.9?

> Releases that contains a *huge* compatible collection of packages is the
> most effective way to move forward in an unified way.

That requires a huge coordination effort.
It's not sustainable.

This is why there's so much attention being paid to eggs lately.
Eggs are one packaging solution that allows version dependencies
to be explicitly stated in each package, and allows multiple
installed versions at the same time.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com