[Zope3-Users] Principal annotations

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Mon Mar 20 10:05:53 EST 2006

On Wednesday 08 March 2006 03:32, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Chapter 27 of the Zope 3 book and the docstring for IPrincipal in Zope
> 3.2 both suggest Zope has the ability to provide a browser view of
> principal annotations.  That would be a really great bit of
> functionality to have!  Unfortunately, AFAICT, the system doesn't work
> at all in Zope 3.2.  The Zope 3 book says you have to create an
> Authentication Service, but no such thing exists anymore.

Unfortunately, this is correct. The PAS is gone. It was one of those bits in
the book that I knew would be a problem with Zope 3.1, but could do nothing
about. :-(

> Instead, I created Pluggable Authentication Utility and put a principal
> folder inside it.  But principals created this way are InternalPrincipal
> objects which do not implement IPrincipal, so they don't have the extra
> view I registered.  I could find no other way to visit a user object in
> the management interface.  Therefore, views of IPrincipal are currently
> never used.

Okay. IPrincipal is used though. The strategy changed from PAS to PAU. In PAS
a principal always existed, once you created it. In PAU, only information
about the principal is stored and the principal (providing IPrincipal) is
created once the authentication was successful.

> Was this an accident?  Did it work at one time?  Are there plans to make
> principal annotation views work again?  And how can I edit user
> annotations in the meanwhile?

The principal annotation views (can you actually give me some names?) could be
easily fixed by working with IPrincipalInfo objects instead IPrincipal
objects. This step should not be too hard.

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter