[Zope3-Users] recommendations for porting sqlmethod based z2 app to z3

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Sun May 7 00:04:23 EDT 2006

On Sat, May 06, 2006 at 12:49:06PM -0700, Michel Pelletier wrote:
> Hello friends,
>
> I'm in discussion with a customer about advancing their existing Z2
> application, which is driven by ZSQLMethods (they use ZODB only to store
> presentation templates).  They want to make their site more of a web
> service with various protocols, starting possibly with JSON-RPC and
> later including XML-RPC, REST, and SOAP.

To me that smells like skinning; it's the same data, but you provide a
JSON-RPC skin, an XML-RPC skin, etc.

> I laid out to them the reasons
> why doing this in Z3 would be much easier, stable, and supported than Z2
> and they seem fairly convinced.
(snip)
> They are familiar and happy with ZSQLMethods and they want to be able to
> write their query logic in SQL, so they want to stick for the most part
> with this pattern.

I'll mention that there's the option of doing it in Z2 / Five.  That is,
keep using ZSQLMethods as provided by Zope 2, but do presentation via
zope3-style views and skins.  We're doing this and it works nicely.

The disadvantage is that I find myself having to mentally juggle idioms
and techniques from both zope 2 and zope 3 and it feels like a lot to
swallow.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com