[Zope3-Users] Re: Problems with ZDC upgrading to Zope 3.3.0b1

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Thu May 11 10:06:43 EDT 2006

Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Thursday 11 May 2006 03:44, Tom Dossis wrote:
>> Is there a migration operation I need to run?
>>
>> Clicking evolve: http://localhost:8080/++etc++process/@@generations.html
>> doesn't seem to do the trick.
>
> It seems to me that no generation scripts were written. :-( This is a real
> show-stopper! I will not make another Zope 3.3 release before this is fixed.

On the other hand, it seems that the BBB packages that would guarantee
the pickle to be loaded were not included in the release
(http://www.zope.org/Collectors/Zope3-dev/603).

And yes, no generation scripts were written. Why? Because

a) there doesn't (yet) seem to be an API that lets you iterate over
objects (perferrably of a certain class) in the ZODB so that you could
have them repickled (at least that's what Jim told me when I asked him)

b) no persistent class was moved for this reason. Of course,
non-persistent classes might still have been pickled. However, IIRC even
if we had such an API described in a), it wouldn't be of any use because
the objects that were moved don't have their own pickle but live in the
pickle of some persistent object that makes a reference to it.

As said, BBB packages were provided, but not included in the release.
This is a packaging problem.

Philipp