[Zope3-Users] Buildout query

David Pratt fairwinds at eastlink.ca
Sat Nov 25 10:07:07 EST 2006

I was looking at buildout again this morning. First of all it seems that
apps would be easier use cases since you likely have some finished and
registered eggs. It occurred to me for development, that there are a
couple of good possibilities though for making good use of buildout.

For a package or two you could check out your local repository packages
into sandbox and symlink the resources you wish to use to a src folder
or use the find-links feature to find the packages. The buildout would
use the src path or directly find the packages to create develop eggs of
the resource packages.

Alternatively, I could see this being a hassle when you are dealing with
a few or more packages. In reading the documentation, it seems that
changes to files in recipes could cause buildout to be more responsive
to code changes. This makes me believe it might be the best bet for a
number of checked out packages. So likewise if you've checked out your
recipes to a certain location, you can offer buildout a path to find these.

I guess the question of omitting packages in zope would come down to
utilizing a custom recipe and using this to leave out the unwanted
packages (by only co the packages you want). Adding in the new packages
would be done by adding another recipe to the part (or incorporating
this action into the original custom recipe).

I think this could be done fairly easily now by modifying the existing
zope recipe to take a list, dict or .ini file to provide more
granularity in what you want to co (instead of getting all of zope3 by
default). This way, one would only need to add or remove package names
(depending on how it is set up) in a config file for the generic custom
zope recipe. You would then just rename the recipe and use it in the
buildout. I guess we need a customzope.recipe :-) I'll be trying this
today in any case.

I would be great if someone could advise whether I am on the right
track. Many thanks.

Regards,
David