[Zope3-Users] 4 questions from a newcomer

Christophe Combelles ccomb at free.fr
Tue Sep 5 11:10:02 EDT 2006

Hello,

I'm currently spending all my time to learn zope3, and while searching some doc,
I have gathered some useful links in the following wiki page :
http://ccomb.free.fr/wiki/wakka.php?wiki=Zope3
(curr in french, but I will rewrite the text in english soon)
Please feel free to add other useful links if you have some.

Now I have 4 questions :
(I've just swithed from 3.2.1 to 3.3.0b2, with python 2.4.4c0 on debian Sid.)

1) TALES root variable
----------------------
In a tales expression, where has the "root" context variable gone? In zope2, we
could use "path:root/path/to/object" or "path:/path/to/object", but it doesn't
work with Zope 3. How can we access some object with an absolute path?

2) utf-8 error in i18nfile
--------------------------
Why do I always get an error when I try to add some utf-8 text into an i18nfile?
I just add an i18nfile in the ZMI, then I chose a name and I set the contentType
to "text/plain;charset=utf-8". If I enter some text with accents like "éàôî", I
get a system error which says : UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode
byte 0xc3 in position 0: ordinal not in range(128).
I don't get any error with a simple File object.

3) "order" attribute in browser:menuItem directive:
I want to add a new view tab in the ZMI to be able to edit object attributes of
some objects. So I'm adding a new menuItem in the zmi_views menu via ZCML with:
<browser:menuItem
     action="properties.html"
     for=".mymodule.IMyClass"
     title="properties"
     menu="zmi_views"
     permission="zope.ManageContent"
     order="2" />
(MyClass is just a derived Folder with custom attributes)
The problem is: the new tab always appear in the first place. I would like to
put it just after the "content" tab, not before. The "order" directive does not
work for that. How can I reorder the tabs so that my new tab appears in the 2nd
position?

4) workflow:
Where is zope.app.workflow?

thanks,