[Zope3-Users] RFC 4122 UUIDs

Derek Richardson derek.richardson at gatech.edu
Wed Apr 4 13:06:07 EDT 2007

I am hoping that Zope 3 assigns an RFC 4122 UUID to each content item.
If not, I am hoping there is a third-party product to do this.

I would like RFC 4122 UUIDs to provide standard Atom feeds of Zope
content [1].

It will be better if Zope itself assigns UUIDs, so that there is a
single source and not a possibility of multiple packages assigning
different UUIDs to the same content item.

I googled (of course) but was unable to draw any definite conclusions
from my results.

Thanks,

Derek

[1]
http://www.atomenabled.org/developers/syndication/atom-format-spec.php#element.id

The "atom:id" element conveys a permanent, universally unique identifier
for an entry or feed.

atomId = element atom:id {
    atomCommonAttributes,
    (atomUri)
}

Its content MUST be an IRI, as defined by [RFC3987]. Note that the
definition of "IRI" excludes relative references. Though the IRI might
use a dereferencable scheme, Atom Processors MUST NOT assume it can be
dereferenced.

When an Atom Document is relocated, migrated, syndicated, republished,
exported, or imported, the content of its atom:id element MUST NOT
change. Put another way, an atom:id element pertains to all
instantiations of a particular Atom entry or feed; revisions retain the
same content in their atom:id elements. It is suggested that the atom:id
element be stored along with the associated resource.

The content of an atom:id element MUST be created in a way that assures
uniqueness.