[Zope3-Users] Repozo and events

David Pratt fairwinds at eastlink.ca
Thu Apr 5 19:54:43 EDT 2007

Hi. I am interested in maintaining the zope object database in a way
that I can have it back up quickly and without loss if needed (locating
the backup files to another machine for restoration if needed in a
failure situation).

I realize the normal way to use repozo is using cron to create
incremental files and merge them to reassemble the zodb. I also use
pgstorage. Postgres's write ahead logs can currently be used to
reassemble a relational database to the point in time of failure without
any loss of transactions.

In the repozo case, transactions can still be lost depending on the time
interval set in cron. Would using object events in zope be a better way
to have repozo keep pace with each transaction in zodb so that there is
no loss. A time method could then be used to merge the small files over
a regular interval into a larger file so rebuilding the db would not
involve so many files. I was thinking something like this could be put
in a package for automated backup of zodb. Not to replace Repozo as a
command line utility, just as a help for backup. Perhaps there are
better ideas. Many thanks.

Regards,
David