[Zope3-Users] Re: RFC 4122 UUIDs

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Fri Apr 6 07:40:11 EDT 2007

Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 April 2007 13:06, Derek Richardson wrote:
>> I am hoping that Zope 3 assigns an RFC 4122 UUID to each content item.
>> If not, I am hoping there is a third-party product to do this.
>
> No there is neither. We have an intid utility that guarantees System-wide
> unique ids.

This is a misconception which occurs througout this thread. Integer IDs
are only unique within the reach of a *particular* integer ID utility.
They're not unique throughout the whole system (which I interpret as
"global") nor through the whole ZODB. In fact, problems can arise when
you have a site with an intid utility, populate it with objects and then
create another intid utility in a subsite.