[Zope3-Users] Use of Viewlet from a ZMI Page Template

Kevin Gill (Newaddress) Kevin.gill at newaddress.ie
Thu Apr 12 14:10:47 EDT 2007

The background....

I have created a simple skin. I have a viewlet in this skin. The viewlet
populates a Sidebar. If I create a page template in the file system and
configure it via ZCML, the viewlet works.

I also want to create some pages through the ZMI and I am using page
templates and my skin to do so. These pages cannot display the viewlets,
the following error is produced...

File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/zope/contentprovider/tales.py",
line 57, in __call__
    view = econtext.vars['view']

I assume that the above error simply means that the viewlet code is
attempting to render a view on an object. Since the ZMI page template
has no object, the viewlet cannot find it. I suppose the clue is in the
name.

My questions...

Can you use a skin containing viewlets in page templates created through
the ZMI (and if so is it wise)?

Is my conceptual approach wrong? Are the generic pages generally
contained in the python package? Is the web-site normally a zope object
with these as views on that object?

I am using Zope 3.3.1.

Thanks in advance

Kevin Gill

www.commuterhomes.ie - MyHome.ie are sponsoring the Commuter Homes Exhibition
2007 which takes place this Sunday 4th of March in The Lynch Green Isle Hotel,
Naas Road, Dublin 22 from 1pm – 6pm. FREE ADMISSION.

They are intended for the named recipient(s) only.
If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager or  the
sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to anyone or make copies.

** eSafe scanned this email for viruses, vandals and malicious content. **