[Zope3-Users] Buildout and custom python

Benji York benji at zope.com
Fri Dec 21 08:30:25 EST 2007

Darryl Cousins wrote:
> I'm trying to created an isolated environment using buildout. I had
> understood that defining a custom build python would ensure that all
> eggs are installed and compiled with the custom python.

An alternative to building Python with buildout is to build a single
"clean" Python and use it for all their buildouts.

Some advantages of this approach are that your buildouts take less time
to build from scratch (no building Python every time), and are a bit
smaller (by about 115MB on my system).  I keep lots of buildouts around
(a few dozen), so those advantages add up.

Of course it also lets you stay away from the generally "dirty" system
Python (just as the Python-per-buildout strategy does as well).
--
Benji York
Senior Software Engineer