[Zope3-Users] Infrastructure Requirements?

Jonathan dev101 at magma.ca
Fri Feb 16 16:48:18 EST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Buch" <dbuch at teachsmart.org>
To: <zope3-users at zope.org>
Sent: Friday, February 16, 2007 4:42 PM
Subject: [Zope3-Users] Infrastructure Requirements?

> I'm at the very beginning of what will hopefully be a successful
> deployment of some Zope3 apps.  The big question I'm getting now from
> the infrastructure-minded people is what sort of hardware requirements
> I'll need (?)
>
> Given that I'm a bit of an Ubuntu nut, I wanted to look into a Sun
> server.  I know that I won't need much in the way of storage, the
> minimum CPU and memory will do...  after that I get a little lost :)
>
> If our final setup (a couple years down the line) will have something
> like 4-5 components all running on Zope3, must be highly available, and
> gracefully handle minor failures, what should I spec in terms of
> hardware?

Why don't you run some load tests to determine what a single server can
handle with your application.  Then ask the 'marketing/sales' guys for user
projections (total users,  simultaneous users). Then you will have a rough
idea of what you need (rough being the operative word: you may need to look
at load balancing, separate application and database servers, etc).

Jonathan