[Zope3-Users] translation domains and their scope

Giovannetti, Mark giovanne at nrcan.gc.ca
Thu Feb 22 12:17:42 EST 2007

Hello,

I am having some trouble with translation domains.  I
have setup two for use.  Call one 'common' and the other
'myapp'.  They were created under a folder that was turned
into a site using the ZMI.  Call this site MYSITE.

The translation domains were also registered via the ZMI.
I have filled in various message ids and their translations
for en and fr in each domain.  I have also made sure to use
the proper i18n:domain declarations, as appropriate.

For locations under MYSITE, the myapp and common translations
work well (within a generic browser page template configured
for ISite):

i.e. http://localhost:8080/MYSITE/

However, using http://localhost:8080/ to display the same
generic page (as another ISite), the translations do not happen.

I want to use the 'common' translation domain (TD) across more than
one site (i.e. the use case above would allow me to have a
splash page at the site root using common translations with
a choice among subsites).

So, thinking I should move the 'common' TD to the zope instance
root I use the ZMI cut and paste functions to move the 'common'
domain from MYSITE to the root/global(?) site.  I also checked,
unregistered, and registered where appropriate.

Now the translations for common, formerly functional under
MYSITE, no longer work under MYSITE, nor do they work under the
root site, nor anywhere else.

What gives?  Is there something bad about using cut and paste
to move a translation domain?

How are translation domains looked up and used?  What are their
scopes?

Also,
What is the relationship, if any, between the name used
in the registration (as shown below) and the name of the
translation domain 'common'?  (I did add text to the 'Register as'
input box when I re-registered the 'common' TD.)

 This object is registered:
	zope.app.i18n.interfaces.ILocalTranslationDomain utility
      named 'Common Look and Feel'

Thanks for shedding some light on how a site and a translation
domain inter-relate.

Mark