[Zope3-Users] Zope 3 Theory: Addform and Objects

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Mon Jan 8 03:55:25 EST 2007

On Wednesday 29 November 2006 14:02, David Johnson wrote:
> I am creating a custom content container and am getting the intricacies of
> the addform browser zcml directive.  When I add an object in the ZMI to my
> custom container I notice that the __setitem__() method is called after I
> hit "Add" button.  I also see how the set_before_add and set_after_add
> options are used.

First things first: Do not use the addform and editform directive. Pretty much
everyone is using zope.formlib.

> I notice that when the container's __setitem__ method is called with the
> new object, the attributes are not set.  When do the attributes get set?

set_before_add's fields are set after instantiation (__init__ call).

After this the ObjectCreatedEvent should be sent out.

set_after_add's fields are set after the object has been added to the
container.

After this the ObjectAddedEvent is sent out.

> However, how is custom handling done in addform?  I could specify all the
> fields in the "set_before_add" option, but this is tedious and does not
> work well if the schema changes (because I have to remember to update the
> ZCML as well).

This is the reason you should use zope.formlib. ;-)

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter