[Zope3-Users] Re: prettier edit widgets..

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Sun Jan 14 13:09:11 EST 2007

Roy Mathew wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I need prettier edit widgets than the stock Rotterdam/Basic skin
> versions. Is there a collection of such widgets that maybe use
> dojo/mochikit/scriptaculous. Or is it reasonable to simple re-style
> (w/css) the stock widgets, or programmatically (in editform)
> manipulate parameters, to get reasonable edit widgets.

Don't know if you consider Plone's standard widgets pretty, but the
plone.app.form package[1] makes formlib widgets fit into Plone's
standard layout, which may be similar to what you want.

That's not using JS libraries though; in general, it's a bad idea to
*depend* on such JS libraries; rather they should be additional benefits
for those with browsers that support it.

Incidentally, if you're feeling adventurous, you may want to check out
KSS, which is the JS meta-framework Plone 3 will use (meta, because it
can use prototype or mochikit or whatever; it's just a way of binding JS
behaviour to the page using a CSS-like syntax, and writing server side
logic in python). KSS has a plain-JS bit (called kukit) which does the
binding and command handling and a plain-Zope 3 bit (for server side
actions and resource management). Plone has its own bindings and
Plone-specific actions of course, but there's nothing Plone- or
Zope2-specific about the framework or common actions.

Cheers,
Martin

[1] http://svn.plone.org/svn/plone/plone.app.form/trunk/plone/app/form/