[Zope3-Users] Re: zc.buildout and unreleased eggs in svn

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Sun Jan 28 15:50:12 EST 2007

Jim Fulton wrote:
> Martin Aspeli wrote:
>> Hi,
>
> I'd rather discuss questions like this on the distutils-sig list.

Okay? Is that a Zope list or a python one? In Gmane?

>> easy_install lets me specify an egg from svn, e.g.:
>>
>>  $ easy_install
>> http://svn.plone.org/svn/collective/ZopeSkel/trunk#egg=ZopeSkel-dev
>
> Hm, interesting.  I thought I had seen something like that, but I've
> never been able to find documentation for it.  Do you know where this
> is documented?  Does this example actually work?

Hanno did some digging and found it was under-documented. It *does* work
though (try it if you'd like).

>> I have a zc.buildout recipie that specifies a number of eggs that should
>> always be fetched from svn.
>
> I wonder what that should mean.

Basically, that I want the eggs in my buildout to track svn. The way we
do that now is that we use svn:externals to get them into src/ and then
use them as 'develop' eggs. However, if I have a different project that
wants to track Plone svn, I'd rather not have to check out the source
code like that.

> I agree that something like this would be useful.  I would like to
> see the semantics spelled out.  For example, I agree that this should
> lead to a develop egg.  What version should it have? Should that
> be determined by the remote setup.py file?  Is the project you point
> to required to have a setup.py file?  If so, then why specify a
> project name after the #.

I don't know why the # is needed, this is just the way I've seen it
spelled before.

I think the default semantic would be that the version would be ==dev
i.e. current svn. I don't fully understand how this works though - I
know I can do "easy_install PasteScript==dev" to get the current
development version of PasteScript, but I don't know how easy_install
actually finds that (I presume the cheeseshop tells it about
PasteScript's svn location?)

Martin