[Zope3-Users] Re: zc.buildout and unreleased eggs in svn

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sun Jan 28 16:46:54 EST 2007

Martin Aspeli wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>> Martin Aspeli wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd rather discuss questions like this on the distutils-sig list.
>
> Okay? Is that a Zope list or a python one?

Python:

> In Gmane?

Probably. :)

>>> easy_install lets me specify an egg from svn, e.g.:
>>>
>>>  $ easy_install
>>> http://svn.plone.org/svn/collective/ZopeSkel/trunk#egg=ZopeSkel-dev
>>
>> Hm, interesting.  I thought I had seen something like that, but I've
>> never been able to find documentation for it.  Do you know where this
>> is documented?  Does this example actually work?
>
> Hanno did some digging and found it was under-documented.

Where is it under documented? :)

 > It *does* work
> though (try it if you'd like).

I will when I make some time.

>> I agree that something like this would be useful.  I would like to
>> see the semantics spelled out.  For example, I agree that this should
>> lead to a develop egg.  What version should it have? Should that
>> be determined by the remote setup.py file?  Is the project you point
>> to required to have a setup.py file?  If so, then why specify a
>> project name after the #.
>
> I don't know why the # is needed, this is just the way I've seen it
> spelled before.
>
> I think the default semantic would be that the version would be ==dev
> i.e. current svn. I don't fully understand how this works though - I
> know I can do "easy_install PasteScript==dev" to get the current
> development version of PasteScript, but I don't know how easy_install
> actually finds that (I presume the cheeseshop tells it about
> PasteScript's svn location?)

I don't think that in this case it's actually getting it directly
from svn.  But I'm not sure.  If we were having this discussion
on the distutils-sig mailing this, Phillip Eby would have started
explaining it by now. :)

Jim