[Zope3-Users] Re: z3c.form - field description -> widget hint?

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Fri Jul 13 10:21:24 EDT 2007

On Tuesday 10 July 2007 04:52, Hermann Himmelbauer wrote:
> I wonder what happens with the field description during widget creation -
> it seems that it is currently not regarded. However, in forms.txt, a widget
> attribute called "hint" is mentioned (line 238), which seems not to be
> available.

Thanks a lot for the report. I removed the mentioning of the "hint" attribute,
since it is not available.

> I assume that the field description should be converted to the widget hint?

Actually the opposite. I purposefully decided not to map the field's
description to anything, because I found it to be useless. If someone really
cares to map the field's description to something, I suggest writing a
traversal adapter that returns this info; something like this:

widgets/name/@@hint

    field description

But I did not want to support this in the core packages, because the
requirements are all over the place, the most common one being to not display
the description at all.

Regards,
Stephan
--