[Zope3-Users] Building an admin interface

Hermann Himmelbauer dusty at qwer.tk
Tue Jul 17 02:45:15 EDT 2007

Am Montag, 16. Juli 2007 22:44 schrieb Stephan Richter:
> On Monday 16 July 2007 15:58, Benji York wrote:
> > This reminds me of something I've been curious about but haven't had
> > time to research lately.  What are the differences between pagelets and
> > viewlets and their various strengths/weaknesses.  An acceptable answer
> > is "read the docs and decide for yourself". <wink>
>
> Viewlets-pure UI design is a great approach, if you have portal, where
> there is really never a main content area, since you can reuse viewlets
> accross many pages. So in this UI pattern, you would create a "Contents"
> viewlet manager, and register viewlets for this manager. Depending on which
> page you are looking at, viewlets are picked up and displayed.
> Unfortunately, for simple pages, this requires two directives: One to
> define the page and one to define its "Contents" viewlet. This cost is very
> acceptable to a portal site where those simple pages are rare, but are
> impractical for more traditional Web applications.
>
> Also, any piece of dynamic code is a viewlet manager with viewlets or a
> simple content provider: left menu, right menu, header, CSS files, JS
> files, title, etc.
>
> Pagelet-based UI design is pretty much the same pattern, except that it
> allows you to define a main content area. Here you define a layout template
> that is used to define the O-wrap (pretty much like standard_macros/page).
> A page is then registered as a pagelet, which defines a second template
> that defines the content area of the page. As for macros, the advantage
> here is that you only need one generic UI layout directive plus one other
> directive per page. But something that is much nicer in pagelets is that
> you do not have to include the macro from within the pagelet, but that the
> layout is driving everything. Also, it is much simpler to register an
> alternative layout template for a particular view or context.

That leads me to the question if it's possible to mix pagelets/viewlets? In my
case, I have one main content area but I have some dynamic code, e.g. a
navigation box, a login box, later perhaps a search box etc. How would I
implement them? Perhaps I use a viewlet manager / viewlet in the layout
template?

Best Regards,
Hermann

x1 at aon.at
GPG key ID: 299893C7 (on keyservers)
FP: 0124 2584 8809 EF2A DBF9  4902 64B4 D16B 2998 93C7